[NSRCA-discussion] Team update from Mark

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 14:27:24 AKDT 2019

BIG DAY!!! As I'm sure most have seen, we had a big day with the finish of the prelims and the posting of the preliminary rankings. All 5 pilots making the semi-finals, with 4 in the top 10. A huge shout out to the guys holding the transmitters... but also to all of those, and many of you reading, that have helped them individually along the way, and collectively with your time, and financial support to be here.

We still have 2 big days ahead of us, but definitely a great lead into the semi's.

Speaking of Financial support, a huge thank you to those that have stepped up and bought some raffle tickets or even made straight donations. We've sold about 100 tickets in the last 2 days so keep it coming!!!

After Kal put up his final P flight this morning, the whole team left to go practice the F sequence out at the practice site while Tom and I hung around for the Team Managers meeting to get our final placements and participate in the pilot draw for flight order. Side note: Thank goodness for Tom Reifsnyder. He's been an incredible assistant to me and the team for the past 11 days, and I'm sure likewise to Kal for years prior to that. He steps up to do anything that needs to be done, does so with a smile, and it's VERY appreciated by me and everyone here. I smell a new TM...

Tom and I took the little bit of down time we had today before joining the gang to go find the train station that we'll be using on Sunday to go to Venice. A group of us want to take a day and see a little bit of Italy before coming home so each bought round trip train tickets to Venice and will be spending the day there. The timing is a little tight, so we thought we would go scout out the route and the stations in hopes of expediting our trip there Sunday. I've included a few photos of the town and train station.

It was during our lunch in a small little cafe (more Italian awesomeness) that we received the bad news... "Kal's Canopy blew off".

For better or worse, the down side of our practice site looking just like Muncie is that it looks JUST like Muncie. And that means CORN. Tall, Hot, Scratchy, Can't see your feet, Allergic distress CORN. Been there, done that, hated it. It can take hours or days to find something.

Annnnnd, 10 minutes later the follow up text with a photo of Jason holding Kal's canopy! Wait, what?? 10 Minutes. Experience, teamwork and a little luck got the job done. Andrew and Jason ventured into the corn with tall sticks (and wing bags on the top) while Joseph (who felt he had a good line on where it had fallen) guided them from outside. All was right in the world again.

They did have to make some minor repairs, or rather, reinforce the canopy area to prevent it from happening again, and will tape the canopy in place for every flight going forward.

All the flying at the practice site was tremendous. In addition to our team, "Bones" from Australia, the first Australian to make the semi's in a LONG time joined us to re-learn the F schedule. He was pleasantly surprised to make the Semi's so was a little unprepared, but by the end of the day he was flying it very well. We also had the young Jr. pilot from Israel join us. Another very talented Jr, who has been pushing Kal the entire contest, and will continue to do so tomorrow. They are two of only 3 Jr's that made the Semi's ( of 14 I believe) and should be quite proud. All of the Jr's flew amazingly well.

We finished the day with a team dinner compliments of Tim & LInda Jesky. Peter Collinson and his mom Carol arrived mid day so they were with us as well as the rest. We look forward to good day tomorrow, but already feel a good sense of accomplishment. Stay tuned! I will try to post scores as they occur. The final standings won't be available until after 9pm tomorrow at which time we will meet to begin the Unknown schedule process. Could be a long, and late day, so time to turn in!

GO USA!!!!!

PS. I had nothing to do with that last photo. Apparently updating FB is not a good look.