[NSRCA-discussion] Arming Device for electric airplanes

chuenkan at comcast.net chuenkan at comcast.net
Wed Sep 26 15:41:41 AKDT 2018

I think this has been a great discussion in both the  NSRCA and SPA threads.  I thank my friend Vic who asked the original question that got us started.

Some have compared glow to electric power, as if to suggest that the same things have happened with glow engines.

I think there are a couple of major differences between the two:  One, as someone already pointed out, if a glow engine is not idling, it is known to be "unarmed", both visually and through hearing.  The same is not true of electric motors -- a switch-bump can start an idle motor instantaneously if it is armed.

Two, when power is applied to an electric motor, the prop is immediately at full torque.  If it hits some one/thing and stops, it will still turn when the prop is freed from the obstacle.  Neither of these is true of a glow engine, which takes a while to spool up, with attendant sound that increases as the engine speeds up; and, when the prop hits something substantial (a leg), that kills the engine, ending the attack.  An electric motor will continue trying to bite you until the battery is disconnected or runs down.

Well, as Jay says below, we have pretty well massaged this aspect of safety with our airplanes.  Thanks to all who have chimed in...

Phil Spelt, AMA 1294, Scientific Leader Member
SPA L-18, Board Member, KCRC Emeritus
Oliver Springs, TN (865) 435-1476v (865) 604-0541c