[NSRCA-discussion] F3A Results now published to Patternscoring.com

Wallace, Bill WallaceBill at bfusa.com
Sun Jul 22 10:01:15 AKDT 2018

Peter - you’re the best.  Thanks for all the hard work on the contest and I look forward to seeing you in Medford or Sac.

Bill Wallace
Bridgestone Tire
Cell: 951-385-2605

On Jul 22, 2018, at 8:50 AM, Peter Vogel via NSRCA-discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org<mailto:nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>> wrote:

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay getting the F3A final results published.  They are now live on PatternScoring.com<http://PatternScoring.com> under District NATS/ 2018 NATS Masters and F3A<http://patternscoring.com/f34104b6-a027-4f28-83ec-c7b840b3110a>.

Here's what was going on -- because in the F3A preliminaries we were unable, with the matrix system, to ensure equal exposure of all contestants to the judges, the new F3A normalization rules would have made it possible for a winner on one site to potentially get hundreds of points more than a winner on the other site, having nothing to do with the quality of the flight but only with variance in judging.  Hence the decision was made to normalize only to 1000 in the preliminaries, and, since a normalized prelim score carries forward to the semi-finals, to apply the same normalization to the semis.

The finals are effectively a completely separate contest (though maintained as rounds 7-10 in the same contest) with no carry-forward of scores, so there we wanted to follow the new F3A normalization rule.

MasterScoring handled all of this quite well, however, we discovered on export of the contest results for publication that it would apply one normalization rule or the other to ALL rounds of the contest -- which obviously does not reflect the official results.

A solution came to me last night and I have just published the consolidated results to patternscoring.com<http://patternscoring.com>.

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training
Associate Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics District X