[NSRCA-discussion] LONG conversation with Joe Walker on NATs, sequence proposals, and other NSRCA issues.

Curt Oberg obergc at cox.net
Tue Jun 20 15:42:52 AKDT 2017

Tony,

We used to have an active CPA group here in the southeast but it has
completely dried up for a number of reasons.  The Southeast SPA group have a
fixation on aircraft hardware and expect me to lock the gears down and
replace my tuned pipes with stock mufflers while at the same time have
approved just about every power plant  in the universe except for steam
engines.  The only reason I started up again with AMA pattern was a lack of
CPA contest activity here in the southeast.  I decided that if I was going
to go through the expense, time, and effort to be able to enjoy pattern
competition in local pattern contests, it had to be organized nationally AND
have a national competition.  The only type of pattern competition that
fills those requirements here in the southeast is AMA pattern so I bit the
bullet, bought a new van to haul a 2M plane, numerous LiPo battery packs,
battery chargers, power analyzers/monitors, elect motors,  ESC's, carbon
fiber spinners/props, light weight wheels, an accurate scale to weigh
everything, wing bags, 4 or 5 different 2M planes, etc., etc., etc   and
after 2 years back in AMA pattern, I would conservatively estimate at least
$50,000 spent (including the Toyota Sienna XLE).  Definitely not the AMA
pattern that I used to enjoy back in the early 80's.  Maybe I should have
packed up and moved from Fla to Ca instead to enjoy some CPA competition???
NAWWW, no way.

Curt Oberg

  _____