[NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA Leadership / New Sequences - My thoughts - Long

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Mon Jun 19 20:31:59 AKDT 2017

I find it interesting that when we discuss using sequences developed and
used internationally there is substantial resistance and a lot of not
invented here, loss of control, etc. We can certainly overcome the loss
of control by keeping a modification capability when we encounter
something undesirable in a  sequence we want to use. Not invented here
can save us a lot of work,

On the other hand, when we talking about rewriting rules for using 12S
batteries or eliminating/reducing weight restrictions for AMA classes,
there is a hue and cry that we have to stay in lockstep with FAI or the
sky will fall.

I don't understand either position. We should take advantage of work
done around the world but not be bound to it. If we can build a better
mousetrap for less money, that's great. If we can't, then take advantage
of published and available work wherever it comes from. P19 is not
terribly exciting but it is easier than either the current or the new
Masters sequence.

Keeping that in mind, I suggest we accept P19 as the Masters schedule
for next year only on a trial basis.
In the meantime, a committee should be formed to formulate a plan for
future sequences.  The three sequence rotation makes a lot of sense to
me for Sportsman and Intermediate. Advanced could go that way too but
probably should adapt to whatever longterm plan is adopted for Masters.
I would suggest having forms available at contest to survey contestants
throughout the year about their sequences.
At the end of the year, the committee would publish recommendations for
how to generate sequences for all classes. A recommendation I could make
right now is that the board ensures the committee adheres to the
guidelines and charter. The committee could make changes to the
documents but would need board approval for those changes prior to
implementation or ask for a waiver.

John