[NSRCA-discussion] Where are the 2019 NATS?

Scott McHarg scmcharg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 05:27:05 AKDT 2017

Ron,

The deal that was set up by the previous board is as follows:

1. The purpose of Blytheville is to lay a blueprint (with mistakes being
rectified and rights being recorded) for a RC Aerobatics Nationals to be
held at other locations than Muncie in order to give those that might not
attend a chance IF this event was held closer.  There was never a desire to
turn the world upside down and redo our NATS format.  There was a desire to
make the NATS more of a National event with the fanfare that is deserving
of this caliber of an event.  I think Mike has gone far and above to make
sure that the NATS is incredible from that standpoint.  The change to the
format is another discussion but I 100% believe Al and Mike are doing what
he can to make sure that's a reality.

2.  Once this NATS is over, the BoD then has the responsibility to take
this and create the blueprint in case someone else wants to hold a NATS
event.

3.  The NATS, by default, will be held at Muncie unless someone brings a
proposal to the BoD to host the NATS at a different location.  The proposal
should be laid out based on the blueprint that this BoD comes up with after
2017.  The BoD will then decides if this holds merit and will present it to
the community for comment as well as seek AMA's approval.

4.  Should something have happened to this year's NATS, the AMA reserved
our dates and we would have and still have the ability to have them at
Muncie if something catastrophic were to happen which prevent the
Blytheville NATS.  AMA was 100% behind our idea and what was originally the
thought behind this "trial".

One thing to keep in mind during all of this.  This was meant to prove we
could do it at a different facility.  The hope was that the NSRCA could
devise a plan and blueprint to allow someone, maybe more west, the
opportunity to host a NATS with equal exposure to all parts of the nation
or, at least, make it to where everyone had a better "travel chance" to
attend every other year or so.  This is just a test.  Mike stepped up to
the plate, we felt this was a great opportunity to try and increase
attendance for some that may not otherwise attend.  Is Blytheville the
perfect location?  Of course not as it does not give any better exposure to
the event for those in the west.  Can it prove it can be done?  Absolutely!

I strongly suggest that our membership take the time to read the BoD
Meeting minutes as soon as they're published.  They are placed on our
website under "About".  I have asked my DVP, Monte Richard, to request that
the BoD go back to approving the Meeting minutes via email so that they can
be published days after the meeting instead of us, the membership,  being
"in the know' a month after the fact which is when the meeting minutes are
getting approved currently.  I think this is where our board could improve
communication.  All information that I"m giving you now is in said minutes
throughout the past year.

Please also remember that the NATS is NOT a NSRCA event; it is an AMA
event.  The NSRCA merely recommends/appoints an ED for the NATS.
Typically, it is a 2-year term, if you will but not written in stone.  One
year prior to this term, the upcoming ED usually shadows the existing ED to
learn the process and be more prepared to handle the job.  Once the NSRCA
appoints an ED, the ED reports to the AMA, not the NSRCA although
communication is strongly suggested.  Again, the ED is not required to
report to the NSRCA but typically explains what is happening, how things
will be done, and requests help from the NSRCA  in order to make it all
happen.  Yes, this means that the NSRCA is in charge of supplying a lot of
things but, in the end, it's still an AMA event.  A lot of pressure is on
the board to make sure the event happens properly and the NSRCA does
receive part of the fees associated with the event but so does the AMA.

There's a lot of work to do to create this blueprint after this year's
NATS.  I'm sure the board will solicit ideas from those attending on what
went right and what went wrong.  In the end, this is all done to grow
pattern and bring our sport back to the forefront of modeling.  We all have
a long ways to go.

Scott

*Scott A. McHarg*
VSCL / CANVASS U.A.S. Research Pilot
Texas A&M University
PPL - ASEL
Remote Pilot Certified Under FAA Part 107

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:45 AM, Ron Hansen via NSRCA-discussion <