[NSRCA-discussion] NATS Electronic Scoring

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 10:27:17 AKDT 2017

Thanks Curt for the kind words and gentle feedback...

The laptops I was using were all laptops bought (by me) to support scoring,
particularly for this endeavor, the missing reader software was, quite
frankly, my error in setting up the laptops, it obviously won't happen
again next time because we'll be using the same dedicated laptops.

I agree that it is *crazy* to NOT have a laptop to dedicate to your scoring
system.  I did not want to include a laptop in the system I supply for a
couple of reasons:
1.  Many people may have a spare laptop to dedicate to the system and would
prefer to use one they are familiar with than one I pick.
2.  I DO NOT want to get into the business of supporting windows laptops!
I (largely) know the source of the problems that can happen with my
software on windows and can support that, but if I supply the laptop
suddenly people will start expecting me to support other stuff there (it's
happened before).

So the scoring kit is and shall remain a "bring your own laptop"
arrangement -- I will happily jump on a remote control session with anyone
setting up a scoring laptop to do the configuration.  In the heat of
prepping for NATS scoring on two laptops I just forgot that one small
detail which was resolved before noon on the first day on both site 1 and
site 3 (site 2 worked as that laptop had reader installed as it is my
primary scoring laptop).

The day 3 problem had *nothing* to do with the laptops, it had everything
to do with windows, which I strongly feel is the "weakest link" in our
scoring chain.  Windows had a registry glitch which, quite literally,
*deleted* all traces of MasterScoring from the laptop and denied permission
to re-install it.  This may *partially* be due to the fact that
MasterScoring is signed with a self-signed code signing certificate (saves
money) but was also clearly caused by windows losing track of my userID
being an administrator.  A reboot of the laptop with "windows reset"
enabled fixed the problem and that laptop was ready to score within 15
minutes of me informing the site director of the problem.  We could have
been using the scribe on site 3 the morning of day 3 after the first pilot
flew, but the pilots made the choice to stick with paper to keep things on
a level playing field for everyone and I respect that decision by the
pilots and HUGELY thank Tim's Wife and Anne (sorry, forgot last name, I'm
horrible with names) for helping out with the manual score entry.

I'll endeavor to have one backup laptop ready for next NATS.

Peter+