[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba BLS173SV centering problem

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 10:43:26 AKST 2017

Dan

I find that 0.13 dead band works well. Gear wear isn’t usually a problem with the 173, the Futaba aluminum arms don’t fit the splines tightly though – you might check this if using these arms. Lots of folks use the 173 on bipe ailerons (which tend to be smaller). Some time ago I measured servo current draw on each surface and ailerons were by far the highest – as Peter notes, big surface. At 7.5v they might be OK, I use the BLS171 which has 60 or so more oz-in torque. I’ve also found that servos slow a fair bit whenever current draw exceeds 60% of stall current – another reason to err on the high side.

Earl