[NSRCA-discussion] Questions for the judging experts

tocdon at netscape.net tocdon at netscape.net
Tue Apr 4 18:51:42 AKDT 2017

Harry thanks this is very helpful and clears that one right up.  The recommendation from those attending the clinic was to see if there is a way to make AMA rules more consistent with FAI for definition of radius for entry radius, stall turn, and double I  deductions and maneuver descriptions and for these maneuvers, etc.

A couple other question for the experts.  This question came from a pilot who got both a zero and a 5  from the two judges on a particular maneuver- vertical upline with half roll.  He hesitated in the half roll, essentially doing what appeared to be a 2 of 4.  One judge zero'd the other severely downgraded the maneuver.  If someone could point out the specific rule on that one, would appreciate.  One location I believe calls for 1 pt per 15 degrees (6 points off) the other could be interpreted as "wrong maneuver".    He did fly it with a hesitation (unintentional) so it technically stopped rolling momentarily at the 90 degree point, then proceeded to complete the other 90 degrees to complete the half roll (or 2 of 4 depending on judges interpretation).

Final question that came up was a pilot's plane got stuck in a rut during takeoff and the helper had to go out and move the plane.  He got zero'd by the judges since he called takeoff and the plan moved slightly then got stuck.  However he pointed out that the rules state an example of an engine restart upon failing on takeoff (for zeroing the takeoff) which does not apply to electric planes.  I believe the intent is zero if someone touches the plane after takeoff is called and before it becomes airborne, but pls clarify.  NOTE:  in many contests with rough grass fields a CD may elect to not score takeoff or allow for this situation if announced at the pilots meeting but apparently this did not happen at that particular contest.

I am reviewing my notes to see if there were other questions, but I think this is about it!

Thanks again,
Don