[NSRCA-discussion] Competition

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:07:35 AKDT 2016

>However, in terms of spectator interest, I would say our patterns are
analogous to the compulsories in figure skating.
>  I have thought about that before.  Other than the skater falling over, I
would have no idea how to judge skating.  Same > for most folks watching us
fly.

Having watched televised compulsories back in the 80's, the key is the
commentary.  Helping people to understand what they are watching for and to
build a mental "relationship" with the competitors so they feel the same
highs and lows as the competitor does during the flight.

That's why I think we need to do a Demo video of a world class competition,
with expert commentary and color commentary from someone familiar with (but
not necessarily at the world class judging level).  Then market that demo
with ESPN, etc. and get it out there virally on YouTube.

At our annual airshow we do a live demo of precision aerobatics with me
doing the commentary around the maneuvers to be flown -- it's one of the
most popular demos (right next to turbines) and gets great feedback from an
audience of over 1000.

Peter+

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Phil via NSRCA-discussion <

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training
Associate Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics District X