[NSRCA-discussion] My Head is Spinning

S. McNickle nelson_jett at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 12:55:12 AKDT 2016

I agree with Ron. (Can't believe I just said that).
Trying to grow participation by dumbing down the classes above Sportsman will cost us pilots. My club used to have monthly fun flies with lots of interesting events and we had good turnouts for a season or so. Then people started saying the 'good' guys always won, so we dumbed down the events until they were a joke, some of them depending on a roll of the dice. Now nobody does it.

Sportsman at the Nats? I think it's a terrible idea. It would just lead to guys camping in Sportsman, "Sportsman Special" airplanes and the development of a 'touring pro' bunch of Sportsmen...people who should be flying Intermediate.
I'm not even convinced that we should be crowning a district champ in Sportsman, we'd be better off if it was populated by club guys who seldom travelled.
Sportsman is just to give pilots a chance to fly a schedule in front of judges to see if they like it.

SPA at the Nats? Well, the control line speed guys do an unofficial one-design event (Perky) and it seems to work, but I think it would be a good idea to see if we can pull off a non-Muncie Nats before we start adding anything.

Scott