[NSRCA-discussion] F3A Championships circa 1971

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Jan 28 07:53:57 AKST 2016

Thanks for this Scott, Mike, and the guy who made this, Jay Gerber.
I went to that WC with my Dad as a spectator. Amazing to see Jim Whitley, Phil Kraft, and Ron Chidgey at their prime. I remember Doc Edwards, Team Manager, as a super nice guy.
The thing I remember most  from that WC in those days of ballistic pattern was that the Europeans had taken to throttling back on the downline of loops, etc. Not many people were doing that at the time. Most Americans kept full bore all the way around.
As to the simplicity of the sequence, try flying a plane of that period. Limited power, fairly high wing loadings, and fairly short coupled tails made them a handful.
I noticed also that virtually none of the radio equipment manufacturers that I saw in the film are around today. Kinda sad.
Amazing film.

Jon