[NSRCA-discussion] Update - UAS Registration Frequently Asked Questions | AMA Government Relations Blog

Dana Beaton danamaenia at me.com
Thu Jan 21 14:41:40 AKST 2016

Looking back at your Part 91 post under uncongested areas, and thinking of the case John Ford mentioned earlier…

In the circumstance where you are over open water or sparsely populated areas, you may operate your aircraft at any altitude, but you must not fly closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure (including electrical or telephone wires). This 500-foot minimum distance requirement may be measured horizontally, vertically, or at a slant angle.

This gives the pilot of a manned aircraft the latitude to fly below 500’ AGL over an uncongested area as long as adequate separation is maintained.  For example, helicopters, crop dusters, sight seeing, aerial photography or just plain old buzzing the field.  The nuance being that just because they are asking UAV to stay below 400’ doesn’t mean that other aircraft will always be expected to remain above 500’ AGL.  This expectation will vary with the local terrain and as charted.  Where we are in NJ/PA is almost always a congested area, which kinda works in our favor as it is rare, except for the life flight choppers who know well we are, to find aircraft below 1,000’-1,500’ over our club fields.  What kind of air traffic do others see and avoid locally?