[NSRCA-discussion] Update - UAS Registration Frequently Asked Questions | AMA Government Relations Blog

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 19:10:47 AKST 2016

By the way folks, today is the last day to put in a public comment.  Here's
mine:

While I understand and support the FAA's intent behind the registration
requirement: to reach and educate people as they acquire model aircraft,
hopefully discouraging irresponsible use; the current regulation casts too
wide a net!   Model aircraft have been SAFELY operating in the NAS for 80
years!  Yes, the past decade of innovation that originated in the model
aircraft community has led to amazing capabilities in autonomous flight and
first-person view flight, both of which, to a greater or lesser extent
enable unmanned aircraft systems to be operated beyond visual line of sight
and that revolution introduces new risk to the NAS, but, there is a bright
line here that can clearly distinguish "traditional" model aviation which
has, and will continue to be, managed safely by the members and clubs of
the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) from "potentially irresponsible"
model aviation and that line is the introduction of autonomous or
semi-autonomous flight control systems in the on-board electronics.

Quite simply, one cannot learn to fly a traditional model aircraft on their
own (youtube is full of videos of people trying to, and crashing within
seconds of launch) which leads people to seek out AMA clubs and
instructors.  As the lead instructor for a club of 480 members, I have
personally taught more than 100 people to fly, and our club has taught
hundreds more.  The very first thing we teach is "see and avoid".  There
isn't a person at our field or any other AMA field I have visited around
the country, that does not know what to do when they see, or when someone
at the field sees and yells "full scale" -- you bring your aircraft down --
preferably landing, but at the very least operating below 100' to maintain
a good margin of safety.  Many model aircraft activities DO involve flight
above the "400 foot AGL" limit suggested by AC91-57A and the FAA
registration site.  Precision aerobatics has aerobatic box corners that
reach 867 feet AGL, cross-country glider events involve altitudes above
1000 feet (all in visual line of sight, these gliders have 3-4 meter
wingspans).  Contests like these have been conducted safely for decades and
there is no reason they cannot continue for decades more unless the FAA
imposes arbitrary blanket limits like 400' AGL rather than the more
reasonable precautions of AC91-57 or 57A which impose the 400' limit within
3-5 miles of a PUBLIC airport (covered by the AMA safety code as well)
unless an agreement has been reached with the local airport (I am aware of
fields that are within 3 miles of a public airport which have arranged for
a standing NOTAM of model aircraft operations in a specific area with a
ceiling of 1200 feet AGL.  Further safety is possible by including model
airfields on full scale sectional maps so that pilots are aware of the
model aircraft operations just as model aircraft pilots see and avoid the
full scale aircraft.

Irresponsible use is a result of ignorant use, ignorant use is possible
only with autonomous or semi-autonomous flight systems.  Those same systems
rely on GPS and/or attitude & altitude sensors and therefore ignorant use
can be prevented through technology, geofencing 5 miles around public
airports, preventing ascent above 400 feet AGL, etc.  Simple
"acknowledgement" of "guidelines" on an FAA registration website is hardly
going to prevent or even discourage the irresponsible user.  In fact, even
with literature about registration in every box, the irresponsible user is
going to pull the "toy" out of the box and start using it.

The President has suggested using technology to help reduce irresponsible
and dangerous gun use, why not apply the same principles to model aircraft
use?

Finally, the model aviation community is your best defense against
malicious use of model aircraft.  The misguided plot to fly a radio control
jet laden with explosives into the white house was stopped because alert
modelers raised the flag with appropriate government agencies.  It is in
the best interests, not only of the NAS, but of national security, to
encourage and support responsible model aviation.

Thank you for your time,
Peter Vogel
AMA Life Member L732
AMA Intro Pilot
AMA District X Associate Vice President
Tresurer, National Society of Radio Control Aerobatics