[NSRCA-discussion] Arming device

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Sun May 17 12:10:44 AKDT 2015

-1

Jon

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 ronlock--- via NSRCA-discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:

+3

From: "Ronald Van Putte via NSRCA-discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
To: "General pattern discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:57:15 AM
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Arming device

+2

On May 17, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Derek Koopowitz via NSRCA-discussion < nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:

+1

Sent from my iPad

On May 17, 2015, at 9:37 AM, John Ford via NSRCA-discussion < nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:

Well, I figured I would stay away from this discussion, but it scares the crap out of me so maybe I can scare the crap out of someone else and take the discussion in a different direction that could produce results…

Rest assured, I won't even debate the merits of widgets…I won't argue in favor or against arming switches, failsafes, or anything else…how about that?

So, from the perspective of someone who has managed (or tried to manage...) risk in professional settings for many years, here is how I see this whole debate and what, frankly, scares me…

If you put yourself in the shoes of a spectator reading this year-long discussion thread, there is one thing that everyone seems to agree on…that an electric pattern plane sitting in the pits by itself is a "loaded gun". On that point, there seems to be universal agreement.

The heated debate in this thread is about how to make that plane safe from inadvertent starts and causing damage or injury. I think we all agree on that. Simple enough.

Now put yourself in the shoes of the lawyer who is working for the spouse of a pattern flier who bled to death before the ambulance could arrive at the contest site, because the prop sliced his femoral artery while he was squatting in front of the plane, while installing the canopy.

The lawyer's case is pretty much made for him, isn't it? A known hazard, surrounded by 25 pilots (or at least one designated caller) all belonging to an organization that have established in 4156 emails that the hazard was real and present..all of whom neglected to restrain or mitigate the known hazard in any way. All of these people, whilst assuming the pilot had some sort of lock-out device in place, made no effort to determine if it was adequate or even installed correctly. And even if it had been, all these people are involved in a debate about the validity of such devices and have been unsuccessful in establishing a universal practice. Yet, they took no mitigating actions in the mean time, leading up to the fatality.

So, I was at a contest yesterday, and I was asked to call for a pilot. If he asks me prior to putting the battery in the aircraft, I always hold the plane while he does it. When I set the plane on the centerline, I always look to him to signal me to let it go. When I return the plane to the pits, I always inform the pilot verbally that the plane is still armed and I wait until he disconnects stuff physically so I can see it, then I get up and walk away. I really don't care what failsafe, interlock, or widget he uses to disarm the plane electronically…I wanna see some sort of physical broken connection before I feel my personal responsibility ends.

I've had several pilots say to me.."ok, John, I disarmed it already…it's OK"… NO, it's not OK! Not until I can see the physical disconnect.

When you ask me to call for you, and you ask me to handle a 5-hp, 80 mph meat-cutter in the middle of a crowd of 30 people…I feel deeply responsible for IT, for YOU, and for ALL the pilots on the line. I WILL insist on you showing me that this thing is physically disarmed, or else you can find another caller…it's that simple.

See, I promised I wouldn't discuss widgets…I didn't even tell you how mine is set up. But, did I scare the crap out of you?

Out of the box…

John