[NSRCA-discussion] Experience with sunglasses with polarized lenses. Question for the experts

tocdon at netscape.net tocdon at netscape.net
Wed Jun 17 23:49:51 AKDT 2015

Tried these over the last couple of months with the following results:

Excellent results when sun was low angle (e.g., in morning with sun in eyes or evening at other fields when sun is in eyes).  The glasses provide better clarity and sharper image as well as better optical comfort, particularly in these conditions.

Poor results when sun is very high, just overhead, like around noon-ish.  Plane is hard to see or takes more concentration to see at certain angles (like coming out of a radius after a stall turn with 1 1/4 snaps at the end of the box where I'm looking at mainly the leading edge under side of the wing).

For the "Doctors" in the audience (or opticians), why is this?

I'm thinking that the sun casts "shadows" between the polarized lines of the glasses.  This is assuming that the polarized lines are horizontal (I'm pretty sure but not positive).

Bottom line, I like them for some conditions, but not all the time.

Cheers,
Don

P.S. I can't read my Thunder Power charger or my Tx screen at certain angles.  The screen goes black but when I'm looking straight down from above I can see the screen without it going black.