[NSRCA-discussion] Attention Commercial Full Scale Pilots

Ron Hansen rcpilot at wowway.com
Sat Dec 5 10:08:37 AKST 2015

I have a couple of questions regarding de-icing of full scale commercial
jets.  I'm trying to prep for being an expert witness on an environmental
matter related to de-icing.

Is the purpose of the de-icing fluid just to knock off the ice prior to take
off or is it also intended to remain on the plane during flight?

Do commercial jets contain any other mechanism for preventing or stopping
ice buildup during flight (e.g., heating elements)?

I always assumed that all de-icing activities occur out in the open.
However, I've heard some airports now do this within enclosures.  Are these
enclosures two side (i.e., the plane pulls straight in one side of the
enclosure and straight out the other side of the enclosure without raising
and lowering doors on the entrance and exit?

Any other details you can provide me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

database 12676 (20151205) __________

http://www.eset.com