[NSRCA-discussion] Kavan geared starter question

Robert Gainey ruddercable at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 12:57:21 AKDT 2014

The brushes and commutator ring they make contact with wear down. You may be able to replace the brushes and clean the commutator and get by with that. What I found when I used the Kavan was that an annual teardown and good cleaning and greasing the gears kept it in top performance. I ran mine on two 7.4 v ni-cad RC car batteries in series. With 14.5 volts on hand it easily turned even my OS 1.60. When it finally gave up, the commutator ring was worn down too much to use any more and I scraped it.

Sent from my iPhone