[NSRCA-discussion] Mac Hodges

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Tue Mar 18 06:06:57 AKDT 2014

We are fortunate to have 3 hobby shops in town, two locally owned, and one a franchise of Hobby Town.  The Hobby Town shop is as others have described, heavy in games, and not much available for airplanes.

The two locally owned shops are thriving, because they have both breadth and depth in their inventories.  The one I frequent, RC Hobbies, decided some time back if they can't beat them, join them, and stocks some HobbyKing items with a small markup.  They are heavy into cars and helis (they have a car track on their property), but stock all kinds of airplane stuff, and will go out of their way to quickly get anything they don't have in stock.  They stock large numbers of engine and servo parts and have repair parts for foamy airplanes in quantity and depth. They know how to fix stuff, and they will make up special battery packs, etc, if they don't have them on the shelf. They even stock Central Hobbies carbon fiber pushrods/titanium ends.  They know their customers, and stock what they need, not what a franchise tells them.  Sometime back they asked me what they could stock that we might need periodically, and they started stocking those items.  They are smart business people, and don't have franchise fees and demands to deal with.

The local shop in town caters largely to helis, but stocks other things as well.  They are far enough from me that I don't frequent them.

I've not been impressed with any Hobby Town I've been in.  We already had one fail in our city, and I was surprised when another sprang up.  I bypass Hobby Town to go to my regular shop, simply because I know my regular shop will have what I need, and know what I'm talking about when I ask for something.

Jon