[NSRCA-discussion] FAA and Model Aircraft

Keith Hoard klhoard at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:04:46 AKST 2014

Yeah, I don't think bringing your transmitter to your type ride would be a good move. . . just sayin' . .

Keith Hoard

klhoard at hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 16:01:40 -0600
From: scmcharg at gmail.com
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] FAA and Model Aircraft

I would "like" to, yes.  Mr. Riff said that I certainly would not be able to count the hours 1:1 for the instrument or Commercial portion obviously.  One should not expect to be able to be an UAS pilot and all of a sudden have their ATP because of hours.  (Yes, I knew where you were going with that one).  Since the FAA will Categorize the UAS, it will not apply to being able to jumping in a complex aircraft and have your certificate by a checkout ride.

Let's be realistic here.  Just because a guy with a PPL can be legal to fly the UAS does not mean he has the knowledge to jump in a 757 and get a type rating just because he's logged enough hours.  There will be some classification.  If, however, I can use say 1/4 of my hours and allow that to count towards my 250 to get a commercial license, so be it.  My bet is that eventually, the UAS program will have it's own certificate of airman and that the PIC hours will have little or nothing to do with obtaining a certificate to jump in a real airplane.  At this point, it's not like that.  I'll put my hours in as a real pilot and in a real airplane to move forward.  Just like being able to use up to 10 hours of simulation time for your instrument rating, I think UAS hours will be similar.  At this point, logging the hours is nothing more than a resume padder.