[NSRCA-discussion] FAA Rules

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:03:01 AKDT 2014

Well, here's how my thinking went..

Part I, regarding the history of FAA regulation of models and sUAS mentions
the 400 foot rule, guideline 91-57 and further clarification of 91-57 from
2007.

Part II goes on to discuss the statutory requirements in section 336 of the
modernization act.  "the aircraft is operated in accordance with a
community-based (read: AMA, for now the only FAA-recognized organization)
set of safety guidelines..." "the aricraft is operated in a manner that
does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft" and, "when
flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides
the airport operator and the airport ATC tower with prior notice of the
operation" -- when operated as described would be exempt from FUTURE
rulemaking (i.e. implying 91-57 could still be in force).  Similarly, they
say that the law onely prohibits rulemaking specifically "regarding a model
aircraft" the prohibition does not apply in the case of general rules that
they may issue that apply to ALL aircraft such as rules addressing the use
of airspace for safety or security reasons.

They then go on for a long time to justify why they can exclude
goggle-based FPV and any BLOS flight by a sUAS, including a model aircraft.

Then they go to define what constitutes non-hobby flying, and they are
taking a VERY broad view of that (arguably, sponsored pilots would be "not
hobby" pilots).

Similarly, in referencing community based rules, they reference the AMA
safety rules which also has a 400 foot rule (but only within 3 miles of an
airport, if we assume, at the minimum, the AMA would be asked to extend to
5 miles instead of 3 miles, we have quite a few fields that would be
impacted.

PArt III (Scope of FAA enforcement authority) they state:

Reading the broad reference to the NAS, along with Congress’ clear interest
in
ensuring that model aircraft are safely operated, we conclude that Congress
intended for
the FAA to be able to rely on a* range of our existing regulation*s to
protect users of the
airspace and people and property on the ground.

Part IV: Examples of Regulations that Apply to Model Aircraft

The FAA could apply several regulations in part 91 when determining whether
take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering
the NAS.

[PAV -- correct me if I'm wrong, but circular 91-57 is, in fact, considered
an extension of part 91?]

All of that said, in the most liberal and favorable interpretation of this
document, the 400 foot everywhere rule implied by 91-57, does, in fact,  go
away.  But I think one of the things the AMA should be asking for in the
public comment should be clarification that models and full scale can, in
fact, share airspace (as implied by several statements in this document)
and therefore the 400 foot rule is null & void and it becomes a standard
See & Avoid rule as applies to all aircraft in the NAS, regardless of type
or altitude.

Peter+