[NSRCA-discussion] Mailing list server back online

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Tue Jun 10 13:32:58 AKDT 2014

First, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the list server
being offline.

TL;DR version, it's back, up to date with DMARC work arounds.

Details:

Due to the recent DMARC implementation by a number of larger email
providers, I needed to upgrade the mailing list software to avoid the
bounce/unsubscription issues many have been experiencing.

I had been slowly chipping away at the upgrades to bring the OS and
software up to date as time allowed, but didn't realize that one upgrade
which failed last Friday actually took the list software offline.

Once I discovered the outage yesterday, I pressed ahead with completing
the upgrades as quickly as work and family would allow.

The DMARC related changes have been implemented on all 34 mailing lists
I host.  In addition, I've removed prior DMARC related moderation and
bounce unsubscription from as many affected folks as I can identify.

Visible changes to list messages:

You'll note that the message FROM address will no longer be the
individual who actually sent the message, but rather the list server
itself.  Mailman tries to preserve the original sender ID in the from
text field and adds it to the reply-to: field as well.  For more detail,
see http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/DMARC

We're using the Munge From option.

Again, my apologies and if you or someone you know of have questions or
problems, please let me know and I'll do my best to help in a timely manner.

--
Tom

   "Z80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, she's
         sucking mud again!" - Error message on XENIX v3.0

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com