[NSRCA-discussion] Advanced Maneuvers for 2015

Gary Switala plane.gary at cox.net
Wed Jul 30 11:43:29 AKDT 2014

      Average is more than just the equipment and  time given to practice.
Critiquing from a good knowledgeable coach is a must. Some of us do not have
this luxury. You can practice all you want and think you're great, but
without proper critiquing you'll be in for a shock at a contest. You also
have to look at the setup of the plane,  Motor thrust, up, down, right,
left? Wing incidence, proper placement of the battery, act. Then there's
the proper trim, and this done in combo with getting the proper setup
working to get the trim perfect. Now we move on to the radio. With the plane
trimmed we still, in some cases, need to have the radio manipulate our
inputs to hide unwanted characteristics. This is Mixing. Sometimes this goes
well and sometime it does not and takes time. Then the Expo and DR, and when
and how and what percentages to set them up in the radio to work to your
advantage. In some cases we move back and forth with Thrust, weight balance,
adding weight to a wing panel and so on. Not plug and play. Setting  up the
ESC also not plug and play. Prop choices APC, Carbon what diameter what
pitch, etc. I've flown with some guys that don't even know on how to set up
their timer on the radio.  If you're flying an average plane and have all
this worked out to a 100% you have a killing plane. If you have a new out of
the box high dollar ARF and have only worked out some or none of the
described issues, you do not.

Caution