[NSRCA-discussion] 2015 proposed sequences

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 20:35:18 AKDT 2014

Advanced and Masters are not our entry classes and should not affect
future participation. Those new to pattern should begin in either
Sportsman or Intermediate depending on skill level. When a flyer feels
he is ready to move up, he will try flying the next class in practice.
If it is too difficult to even see a way to fly that sequence
reasonably, then that pilot was not ready to move up and should stay in
his current class another year (or more). We do not lose people because
they stayed in their current class, we lose them because they moved up
when not ready and find they are outclassed without the vision,
coordination, time to practice (or name your reason) to be competitive.
Not competitive for winning, just competitive.
Both Masters and Advanced can, and probably will be, changed next year.
Any substantial problems can be addressed then. Many have tested these
sequences. All have have flown them successfully, if not always happily.
We can go on and on about ugly maneuvers, difficulty levels and dislike
of change but that happens every cycle.

Just for comparison here are Advanced and Masters from 20 years ago.
Overall both appear somewhat easier than the current sequences we are
flying but not a lot. Total KFactors are a bit lower. Also we are flying
many of the same maneuvers. I hope you noticed the knife edge top of the
cobra in masters. If you go back even further you can find a two roll
loop in the days before retracts...

John Gayer