[NSRCA-discussion] LiPo Storage Voltage Question

Larry Diamond ldiamond at diamondrc.com
Thu May 16 08:57:19 AKDT 2013

A few days ago this was a topic dicussed at length about LiPo charging and storage practice.

I learned a bit and thanks to all the posts sheading light on the topic...

One question that I asked my local battery guy rewarded me with a response I didn't expect. Has anybody else observed this?

Here is his claim/actual observation:

"If a LiPo is stored after a peak charge the voltage may tend to rise over time to as much as 5.0V+ for a single cell."

After the discussion topic on here and discussing the issue with my battery guy, I have came to the conclusion that storing a LiPo battery is much safer at a lower voltage state (~3.9V/Cell) to prevent an inadvertant puff due to an unstable cell(s) climbing voltage over time. I recall the discussion about an unstable pack, but I don't recall any mention of the voltage climbing. Perhaps I missed it and it seems worth revisiting anyway.

Basically any LiPo battery stored over a 2 week period should be charged/discharged to a storage voltage or a nominal 3.9v/cell. Storage voltage opinons vary from 50%+ (~3.9v/cell+)

Internet references show 50% charge =  nominal 3.85V/cell)

Additional thoughts on the peaked battery increasing in voltage over a longer period of time...???????????

I just bought six new 5s-LiPo Packs and I'm new to this stuff... So what say you experienced folks?

Larry Diamond