[NSRCA-discussion] LIPO Question

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Fri Jul 26 11:57:24 AKDT 2013

Jim,
The watts generated is equal to the internal resistance squared times
the internal resistance.
So if you take a maximum like 80 amps and an internal resistance of
.0015 ohms per cell in a 10S battery,
you get     *80.0 * 80.0 * .0015 * 10 = 96 watts. After that it is
dependent on your cooling system and use of the throttle.

Essentially a 100 watt light bulb which effectively converts electricity
into heat with a small byproduct of light. That is 96 watts you do not
have available to turn the prop.

You can see that if you have a cell where the IR is out of line by 2-10
times the nominal in the battery, that is very easy to blow out that
cell due to overheating.
John