[NSRCA-discussion] Beech and Goose don't fly well together..

tedsander at comcast.net tedsander at comcast.net
Mon Dec 16 12:40:26 AKST 2013

According to Snopes:

These photographs depict the aftermath of a mid-air collision between two small planes, a Beech 95-B55 and a Cessna 180K , over Tehachapi, California, on 16 January 2004. The Cessna was destroyed and its pilot killed, but the pilot of the Beech Baron amazingly suffered only minor injuries and was able to land his aircraft safely on a dirt airstrip. According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) preliminary report on the accident:
On January 16, 2004, about 1415 Pacific standard time, a Cessna 180K, N61691, and a Beech 95-B55, N555RD, collided about 6.5 nautical miles west of Tehachapi, California. The Cessna was destroyed, and its airline transport certificated pilot was fatally injured. The Beech was substantially damaged, and its private pilot received minor injuries.

The Beech pilot reported to the Safety Board investigator that, at the time of the collision, he was in a cruise climb. His altitude was over 5,500 feet mean sea level (msl) but less than 6,500 feet msl. Less than a second prior to the collision he observed the right landing gear of an approaching airplane in his 1 o'clock position. He then ducked in a reflex-like manner and the collision occurred. The Beech pilot observed a dirt airstrip near his location, and he made a precautionary landing.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/birdshot.asp#vZjGCw3bBSHOVFtf.99