[NSRCA-discussion] World F3A contest

Michael S. Harrison drmikedds at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 20 04:20:48 AKDT 2013

biased amateurs,,,,

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Keith Hoard
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 5:28 PM
To: General pattern discussion
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] World F3A contest

So basically the Team, AMA, sponsors, and various other contributors just
spent $50,000 to get scored by a bunch of amateurs.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2013, at 17:07, "George Kennie" <geobet4evr at gmail.com> wrote:

I think that many of these international judges have been uptown most of the
day and are familiar with the atmosphere that they are operating in and it's
potential to reward or penalize them for significant discrepancies in their
scoring awards.

Possible mental bias exercises: " Let's see now, here comes CPLR, (He's GOOD
! ), this is TBL scoring, I know that all the other judges will grade him
highly and if I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb I'd better do
likewise"

Think that's too harsh? I don't think so. I know that everybody thinks that
I'm a nut case, but I don't care. I scored these guys in Twenty Eleven and I
saw 5 pilots who outpointed CPLR and I also witnessed the surprise on his
face when they proclaimed him the winner. Am I biased? I don't think so.
CPLR is a great guy to talk to. He and I had great conversations regarding
force arrangements and I found him to be a wonderful down to earth all
around terrific person, but this isn't a personality contest. Your mission
is to outpoint your opponents and according to my numbers he didn't do that.
Of course you can say that I know absolutely zero about judging, but that's
an opinion that would take some amount of verification. I say that my scores
were not TBL modified and possibly reflected more accurate raw numbers

I was convinced that the whole international panel could have been
classified as individuals who had met poor certification standards, but
could it be possible that TBL influenced the outcome in some way?

Nah!, I think I'm sticking to my original conclusion.

G.