[NSRCA-discussion] Android "caller"

Bob Lavey bob.lavey at cox.net
Thu Apr 11 08:39:08 AKDT 2013

I have one for Windows CE but not Android.  I wrote this while learning C#
and run it on my HP iPaq device.  It reads in maneuvers from an XML file
like this:

<ManeuverSequence Name="2009-2010 Sportsman Sequence">

  <Maneuvers>

  <Maneuver Name="Two Inside Loops">

    <KFactor>2</KFactor>

    <Type>Upwind</Type>

    <Description>

      Model pulls up and executes prescribed number of consecutive

      loops; all loops shall be round and superimposed.

      Downgrades:

      1. Loops not round.

      2. Loops not superimposed.

      3. Wings not level during loops.

      4. Changes in heading during loops.

      5. Exit not same altitude and heading as entry.

    </Description>

    <AudioFileText>

      Two Inside Loops.

      Pull into two inside loops.

    </AudioFileText>

       <AudioFilePath>Sportsman 2009-2010\TwoInsideLoops.mp3</AudioFilePath>

  </Maneuver>

It displays the maneuver name and plays the audio file.  Pressing anywhere
on the screen goes on to the next maneuver.  I always intended to have the
left side of the screen move to the previous maneuver and the right side
move to the next maneuver, but I didn't get around to that.  The voice
commands would a terrific idea!  I also hoped to allow users to see the
entire maneuver description (scroll through all of them when not using it as
a caller), but I didn't get to that either.  The main display has a timer
across most of the screen, since the placement of my iPaq obscures the timer
on my transmitter.  If you were using voice commands, you wouldn't need to
have the device where you could touch it to change maneuvers, and you
wouldn't need the timer.

I attached a 24kb screenshot.  Hopefully that comes through.

I can provide the OOAD documentation (Enterprise Architect) and source code
(VS2008 using C#), if anyone's interested.  I know Java, and this would be
easy enough to rewrite in any OO language, but I know nothing about writing
apps for Android.  Adding the ability for voice commands could be easy or
difficult depending on what open source exists and how good it is.

Thanks,
Bob