[NSRCA-discussion] Food For Thought - Pattern and Gyros

John Ferrell jferrell13 at triad.rr.com
Sat Sep 15 06:33:55 AKDT 2012

When Gyros were legal at the TOC competitions most competitors chose not
to use them. Not only did the added complexity bring its own failures
but most of the successful pilots felt they wanted absolute control.

The general consensus in the past has been that contest is about pilots
and not technology. The extreme view has led to Senior Pattern and
Ballistic Pattern, etc.  While those ideas have been good, they failed
to gain enough popularity to attract enough contestants to form a self
sustaining critical mass.

I believe the current competitors prefer to keep things as they are and
adhere to FAI rules. Those who feel otherwise have departed to pursue
other challenges.

There have been amazing strides the availability and the costs of
microcomputers in the last few years. One example is the Arduino system.
Perhaps the off the shelf stuff is too big & too heavy, but it is only a
little more expensive to get what you want in a tiny package. All for
less than the price of one good servo!

I suspect that a properly programmed onboard computer might make an old
Focus competitive with today's equipment at a fraction of the cost.

Current Precision Aerobatics is not yet a One-Design contest but the
rules have left very few choices in aircraft: Electric/fuel, Single
wing/multi wing .  That is OK because it has been the choices made by
those interested enough to keep the sport alive.

I don't consider myself a has - been, I am a never - was, but no one
ever had more fun than me!

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
"During times of universal deceit,