[NSRCA-discussion] USA Team Donations

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Sep 10 07:04:56 AKDT 2012

Hey All,

Many of you may know that I neglected to step backwards quickly enough, and I'll be helping our team go to South Africa in 2013 as the Team Manager.   Part of that role is being central to the fund raising campaign that's needed.

First and foremost, everyone needs to understand that the AMA does NOT pay for this trip, and neither do the pilot's sponsors.  Yes, we get some donations from them, and the AMA covers their entry fees which is sizable, but there's 10's of thousands that need to be raised to help offset the travel and lodging costs.   The contest alone is 11 days and we'll need at least a few days to acclimate and practice at altitude.  So 2.5 weeks of lodging, transportation for 4 pilots and all their equipment (think 4 minivans), Airfare, shipping of 8 Pattern planes and support equipment round trip...the list goes on and on.

All these guys work hard to raise money and still they always end up pitching in thousands each to participate.    I'm hoping to increase our funding for this trip as the trip to SA is going to be one of the most expensive.

I'll be putting out notes on here from time to time with ways that people can help out, but the purpose of THIS note is to talk about the idea of donating contest profits!!    I've received 2 checks this past week from CD's that have donated some or all of their pattern contest profit to the USA Team.  It's a great idea, and I wanted to get the word out as we wrap up the contest season.

If you or your club is running a contest in the near future (or really anytime) please please consider donating some (or all!) of the profits to the team fund.   The NSRCA has a separate bank account set up now that we'll be using ongoing for team funds "USA F3A Team Fund" which you can make checks out to.  We're also setting that up to take Paypal donations.

Lastly, and you'll hear this from me more than once, I'd really like ALL NSRCA member to talk to their local club about making a small donation to support the team.   Assuming you practice pattern at your local field, I'm guessing you're a prominent member of your club since you probably fly 10x more than most.  Use that prominence!!  I've gotten club donations ranging from $20 to $500 from my local clubs.  If we can replicate that across even 100 clubs it will make a big dent.

Our anticipated "need" for this trip is upwards of $60,000.  That's taking 10 people (4 pilots, 4 callers, myself and an assistant) along with all the equipment.  We need all the help we can get!!!!

If you have interest in helping out in other various ways or have suggestions, please contact me offlist.   I'm in the process of setting up a website that will be a permanent team site for F3A to do raffles, shirt sales, blogs, etc.  If someone is interested in helping me load and manage content...PLEASE contact me offlist.

Thanks!  This is the first of likely many notes about the team.  There will also be an article in each K-Factor.

-Mark

Mark Atwood
Paragon Consulting, Inc.  |  President
5885 Landerbrook Drive Suite 130, Cleveland Ohio, 44124
Phone: 440.684.3101 x102  |  Fax: 440.684.3102
mark.atwood at paragon-inc.com  |  www.paragon-inc.com