[NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA BOD Meeting, 27 September

Jonathan L Carter joncarter60 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 16:43:06 AKDT 2012

Ron - As an engineer I fully understand that not only is data, data. Data is
"King" First of, as Jim said the word "skewed" was inadvertently used. There
is nothing wrong with the data that we have from any prior year. Secondly,
to my knowledge, we do not posses the raw data from the Finals for 2009 or
2010.  That being said, if someone reading this says "oh, I have those
files" Please send them to me. I will take responsibility for the lack of
data for 2011. I ran the scoring that year for Rusty Fried and in re-writing
Dave Guerin's Excel spreadsheet I neglected to link up Judge ID to judge
score for the Finals. That data would be possible to recover manually by
working from paper score sheets that are stored somewhere at the AMA HQ but
I really do not think that is feasible at this time. I apologize for my
mistake. (I am really not that good at SW, I am a HW engineer by
profession!)

As Jim Quinn mentioned, and as was discussed at the BoD meeting; I am
assembling several sets of data for Jim.  The first and simplest set is
simply the judge evaluation data from the 2012 Nats. This was generated by
Scott Smith's program using the criteria that I believe you, Ron, and
several other people came up with. I will also send Jim a set of combined
data from the latest 5 years for which I have results.  Unfortunately that
is only 2008 and 2012. I will also send him a set that includes all data
that I have which has some entries as far back as 2004.

I hope that explains how we are handling the data for the judge
recommendation, a task which we take quite seriously. I believe going
forward and using Scott's SW for the Nats this will not be an issue in the
future.

Sincerely,

Jon Carter

NSRCA D7-VP

NSRCA Judging Committee Chair

If you wish to discuss this further you can always contact me directly.