[NSRCA-discussion] Future of Pattern

Michael Ramsey milehipilot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:23:50 AKDT 2012

I like your idea Mike!

Another trick is to create an event that's for fun like "Cub Day." In an
active club, just about every member has a Piper Cub. A one-day Cub Fly can
bring out a lot participants that want to have a blast just putting around.
By organizing just a few low-key events as part of the day really made
things special. My club (RAMAC) included a Best Static Cub, Best Kit Cub,
and Best Scale Cub Flight award. The Best Scale Flight event was my hook to
get more pilots familiar with the feeling of flying in front of judges. The
pilots that showed promise were encouraged to become involved in scale
flying, which of course is a form of precision RC flight. On their own they
would build confidence enough that it would make traditional pattern flying
seem more fun than force.

Michael...