[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposals

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 16:20:34 AKDT 2012

This won't work very well, in my opinion. Who is going to the Nats if
they start out 5-10% behind? This does nothing to increase attendance
and is detrimental to operation of local contests. All it takes is an
unhappy pilot feeling he was home-towned protesting vociferously about
the heavy airplane that just beat him and demanding a weight check that
might reverse the first and second places.

IF the CD denies the protest, you've lost a pilot. If you do a weight
check and it fails, then you've lost a different pilot. To prevent this,
a CD must waive the weight rules on his sanction which is not normally
done now, although it should be. So extra work and/or hassle for the CD
and extra work for scorekeeper/scorekeeping systems. For what gain? A
rule that will not be enforced locally and will keep pilots away from
the Nats just as much as no weight allowance at all.

At the very least, preface the rule proposal with something like:
This weight rule will be enforced at the Nats. If a CD  chooses to
include this rule at a local contest, he must publicize that fact
appropriately to all potential attendees at least 30 days prior to the
contest.

At a local contest, this officially leaves us with no weight rule at all
in AMA classes. That's probably OK as we could reject on size if needed.
Personally I would only turn someone away if they brought a 42% Extra to
fly in Masters and maybe not even then...

Cheers
John