[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposals

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 21:42:39 AKDT 2012

I have not read all the comments regarding weight increase proposals but Michael Harrison articulated the best reason to increase the weight limit in some private emails we shared not long ago.  Excuse me if this has been covered in this thread.  In the old days all the top pilots designed and built their own airplanes.  Now only those with access to expensive tooling and equipment to produce composite models can build an electric powered airplane to meet the weight requirements.  The current, arbitrary limit stifles development.  Throw out the weight limit.  What purpose does it serve?

Also I seem to remember that in the late 60s and early 70s the FAI requirement was specified in terms of wing loading (Kg/Dm) and the area included the wing and the stab.  And I believe the requirement was a minimum meaning that heavier was okay.  RVP, is Ron Chidgey still around?  He could probably tell us the straight scoop.  I'm too old to remember the details.

Jim