[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposals

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:34:20 AKDT 2012

The CIAM branch of FAI revised the rules governing what constitutes a model
aircraft in 1947, at that time Wmax was revised upward to 5kg, it hasn't
changed since and I haven't been able to find reasoning for it in online
FAI records.  I do know they recently created an exemption to allow IMAC
style competition to be governed by CIAM even though weights there are well
over 10kg.

In short, the FAI limit of 5kg hasn't changed in 65 years, the reasons for
the limit are almost certainly obsolete (servo power, radio system
reliability and capability, maximum speed (which would argue for a
reduction in weight if it were the reason based on E=mv^2), power system
capability, construction techniques and capability (CNC laser cutting,
etc).  But FAI is even more conservative than the crowd on this list!

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training