[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposals

Vicente "Vince" Bortone vicenterc at comcast.net
Fri Mar 9 12:25:02 AKST 2012

Hi Mike,

The limit has to do with the international competition limit for RC model airplanes that is 5 Kg.  I learned this in a good way the first time I went to the Nats and visit the museum.  During the visit a curator approached us and offer to give us a tour which was great.  During the tour he got a call from a guy claiming that he broke the altitude record with RC sailplane.  Guess what was the first question he asked:   Is your sailplane below 5 Kgs ?  Then of course he asked: what altitude you got?  He said that there was another record better than that and the sailplane is been displayed in the museum.  I know now that there is only one exception to this rule for the scale international competition which is higher but I don't remember the exact number.  How the 5kg was selected by FAI ?  I don't know.  Probably easy to transport from one country to another could be the very first reason.

Best,

Vicente "Vince" Bortone