[NSRCA-discussion] New YS .60 Short Strokes

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sun Feb 19 16:01:14 AKST 2012

I once had a YS 1.20 start without a glow driver attached. Surprised the heck out of me, since I was in the process of priming the engine and did not have anyone holding the plane. Luckily it was at idle.

Bob R.

--- On Fri, 2/17/12, J N Hiller <jnhiller at earthlink.net> wrote:

Not a diesel, but I guess technically they are compression ignition aided by catalytic action. In the late 80's I had an OS 61 SF that would do it in hot weather in mid summer about 1 of 10 starts after the first start. Sure surprised the guy holding the airplane. Since then I suspect the platinum alloy wire used in glow plugs isn't of equal quality since they don't last nearly as long.
Jim