[NSRCA-discussion] Arming Switch

Keith Hoard khoard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:46:45 AKST 2012

Bob,

1)  So is leaving your canopy off with ESC plug displayed until you are in
the ready box.  I'd argue that it is more visible AND directly addresses
the problem.  Arming plugs are small and can only be seen from one side of
your airplane.
2)  That is a failsafe setting issue that an affect your airplane any time
the batteries are connected, even during a flight where the disconnect
device is useless.  I agree with demonstrating proper failsafe setup.
3) Very true.

   What I don't agree with is the NSRCA issuing an "Airworthiness
Directive" ("AD" in FAA-speak) requiring me to install equipment to address
a *potential *problem when I can address that problem in other ways.  I
think the Board would be much better off proposing a rule defining WHAT
outcome they are desiring, then allowing the competitor to come up with an
effective way to accomplish that objective.  I think we'd be better off
adopting the FAI rule that mandates when power can be connected to the
plane and let the competitor accomplish that objective in any manner they
wish, either through good battery management techniques or disconnect
devices.

    Besides, if you read the NSRCA rule proposal, all it says is that you
have to install a disconnect device.  It does not mandate when it will be
utilized to arm or disarm the plane.  So. . . according to the rule, I can
install the arming plug and leave it connected at all times, thus not even
solving the original "problem".

Keith Hoard
Collierville, TN
khoard at gmail.com