[NSRCA-discussion] DriveWear Glasses

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 08:37:10 AKST 2012

Polarized is definitely better for *some* things, anytime you have to deal
with reflective glare (skiing, road cycling, water sports, etc.)
polarization is *awesome*.  If you are looking up at the sky the whole time
(flying RC) reflective glare is a non-issue and the downsides of
polarization become obvious.  With the right angle looking into the sky
polarization can add depth to clouds, etc. which makes for some very
striking photography (polarized filter on the lens) but I know from
experience that the angle of polarization to get that depth is NOT the
angle that is needed to cut glare from ground reflection, which is what
polarized sunglasses are designed to do -- so you actually lose depth
(unless you tilt your head about 60 degrees and keep it tilted) and the
"shift" that happens during flight when you do tilt your head can be very
disorienting.

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training