[NSRCA-discussion] Going Electric - Battery Questions

Larry Diamond webmaster at diamondrc.com
Sat Dec 8 13:21:07 AKST 2012

Duane,

Been thinking about this today, with the new understand of how an ESC
actually works...

This makes a lot of sense as to what many are saying about having a higher
discharge rated pack... Assuming I understand it correctly...

I'm going to make some comments to see if I have the correct understanding.
Some electric newbies may find this enlightening... Please correct any
misunderstandings or statements.

Is it fair to say...?

1. All things equal in the system, except the battery discharge rate:
	a. The same battery voltage under load (40C or 20C battery) at a
given steady (constant) throttle setting, the RPM is the same.
	b. Assumes different points of time in the discharge curve, only
comparing the same voltage under constant load.

2. The voltage curve for battery discharge is slightly shallower for a 40C
over a 20C battery.
	a. Resulting in a slightly higher RPM for a any specific throttle
setting compared to a 20C pack, or lower discharge rated pack..

3. The 40C battery will have a higher supplied voltage under load resulting
in a measurable amount higher RPM.
	a. The amount of the RPM gain is dependent on ESC, Motor, and Prop
choice.
	b. This is due to lower internal system resistance directly
proportional to the lower internal battery resistance.

If the points above are true, then the considerations in the set up of a
throttle curve might be:

A. As the battery is discharged a specific throttle setting position will
result in a loss of RPM over the time of flight.
	* This is due to the depleting voltage under load vs discharge time.

B. The throttle response will seem to be more consistent from beginning to
the end of flight with a 40C pack.
	* This is due to the 40C battery over the 20C battery having a
shallower discharge curve for voltage under load and lower system internal
resistance.

C. --->>>Do not set the throttle curve based on a fresh battery or a drained
battery (at end of a sequence).

D. Set up the throttle curve based on the middle of the sequence.
	* This should result in a better balance from beginning to end of
flight.
	* The Tx throttle curve will change (shift lower) as the battery
voltage under load drops over time of flight.
	* A Tx throttle point established for cruise speed will result in a
gradual decrease in RPM over the time of flight.

***Myth Busted***
Myth - All things equal in the electric propulsion system and only changing
from a 20C battery to a 40C battery to fly a higher class will make the
plane too hot for a lower class.

--->>>Reality - Proper throttle curve settings and in flight throttle
management should be sufficient or changing the upper end point for the
throttle to limit max RPM.

*****Conclusion - As everything else in pattern it really all boils down to
flying style, preference, budget, and weight*****

Looks like the best battery choice for me will be to see what the weight of
the 2M Monolog is without the battery and then buy batteries to try and keep
the weight under 5Kg.

I'm not sure if this helps anybody else, but this thread has corrected my
mindset and gives me a bit more confidence going to electric.

Very curious to read others comments regarding this post. Especially if my
understanding is much better than before...

Larry Diamond