[NSRCA-discussion] Fw: Serious Torque on the Nose of the Model- RESUBMITTED

ehaury ejhaury at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 07:03:13 AKST 2012

I don't know what caused Charlie's failure, we've discussed possibilities - obviously forces occurred that were beyond what the structure could handle.

Torque & precession have been with us since we stuck engines & props on the front of airplanes. They really haven't changed much with the advent of E power - actually went down with the use of lighter props.

I'd just like to offer that the Hacker Q80 design doesn't change much. The rotating outer member (Q80-14) weighs about 100g and rotates up to 7K rpm with an 1 1/2" radius. The rotor in a C50 also weighs around 100g, but it rotates up to 40K rpm on a 3/8" radius. The latter, with the gearbox, can probably apply torque quicker than the outie. Most other popular outrunners fall somewhere between these. (Be neat if someone actually made the calcs.)

I've lots of flights with the Q80-11 without issue (the Q80-14 is less powerful). It is firmly front mounted with also a solid rear mount. I think we all know the importance of a nose ring on a YS and there's been no success running inrunners without a rear support. While some have had success running the Q without a rear support (bet the prop was light), these things really need a more sturdy rear support (or very stout front mnt / fuse nose) than may be obvious.

Essentially something slightly different that adds to the learning curve, hopefully Charlie's experience and these discussions will prevent further occurrences.

Earl