[NSRCA-discussion] A question for the experts

Dave Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Fri May 27 07:22:54 AKDT 2011

For the AMA M, bottom radius altitude must match the entry and exit radius
altitude, if it does not, it is listed as a specific downgrade.

For the FAI M, the entry and exit must be at the same altitude.  There is no
specific reference to height for the center radius.  However, "the length of
a line should only be graded when a manoeuvre contains several lines with a
given relationship, as in a square loop."  From that, it would seem
reasonable to downgrade unequal line lengths (four lines) in a Figure M, and
unequal line lengths would be necessary to have the bottom radius at a
different altitude.

Of course with FAI and AMA, a judge could decide an element was not smooth
and graceful and apply any downgrade they wanted, since this judging
criteria is so poorly defined and devoid of suggested downgrades.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart