[NSRCA-discussion] FrSky DIY 2.4 GHz Transmitter Module

Ronald Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Jul 17 17:32:37 AKDT 2011

I just received some new DIY (do it yourself) conversion packages
which enable you to convert your 72 MHz transmitter (like that
perfectly good Futaba 7C you have), which doesn't have a module to
2.4 GHz and it only costs about $20.  Look at it here:  http://
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14353

The 8-channel receivers are also about $20.  Look at them here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14350

HobbyKing also sells some FrSky receivers with fewer than 8 channels
and they are correspondingly smaller and lighter, but not much cheaper.

So, for under $50, your old 72 MHz transmitter can be on 2.4 GHz.

Just for grins, this afternoon I took one of the old 72 MHz Futaba
Skysport 4 transmitters that I'd been selling as buddy boxes for $20
and installed the FrSky 2.4Ghz DIY module.

I had to solder three wires, installed the bind circuit board with
the LED and switch in the hole where the crystal used to plug in and,
after removing the 72 MHz antenna, I mounted the 2.4 GHz antenna in
its place.

BTW, the locating the soldering points for the three wires was
simple.  You just have to look where the wires going to the buddy box
connector are soldered and solder the wires to the corresponding
colored wires on the buddy box connector.

It came out looking pretty good. It can even still be used it as a
buddy box.

Ron Van Putte