[NSRCA-discussion] NATS 2012

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 08:08:31 AKST 2011

Keep in mind that the weight rule is not applied at any local contests,
only at the Nats.

Let's consider the Nats for a moment and assume the attendance is 100
spread out equally in four classes(not exactly the case but close enough)

Intermediate- Already gets a weight allowance and I didn't hear any
complaints at the Nats so 100- 25 = 75
Advanced- Already gets a weight allowance. Again I heard no complaints
so  75 - 25 = 50
F3A- we have no control over the application of weight rules for FAI
particularly in a team selection year so 50 -25 = 25
Masters- This is the only class that has to adhere to 5000  grams under
AMA rules. Most Masters pilots that go to the Nats are flying top of the
line aircraft that do make weight anyway. I'm sure there are a few(less
than a handful) nationally that did not go to the Nats because their
plane would not make weight. Perhaps there is also a handful who did go
that ONLY spent the money to make weight  so (25-20 = 5 )+ 5 =10

So we should change or ignore the rules at the Nats for a few Masters
pilots that might not go to the Nats next year rather than spend the
money to get their airplane to make weight? I don't think so.
Perhaps Arch is a bit overboard with wanting to check every plane after
every flight but weighing every plane at least once and checking the
stickers after each flight seems very reasonable to me. In any case he
has established very early that weighins /will/ be done and has a plan
in place on how to accomplish it. Much better than this past Nats where
we told to make weight and then not checked at all.

John