[NSRCA-discussion] Quick question re: cellular data service at the fields where you compete

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:59:12 AKST 2011

Hi John,

Let's assume for the moment that the interface is to click the volume up
button to deduct .5/1 point depending on AMA or FAI schedule being judged,
if you double click it you deduct 1 point for AMA, 1 point for FAI (since
sometimes people judge both and be used to double-clicking to deduct a
point).  Touch the screen anywhere to enter the score on the scratchpad and
move to the next maneuver.

After the last maneuver is scored on the "scratch pad" (landing for AMA,
whatever for FAI) you can look at the screen, now you see the maneuver
schedule with the score you scratch padded for each maneuver.  With a +/-
button next to each score (or underneath to change the currently selected
score) so you can make corrections (again moving by .5 or 1 point each) and
the scorepad scrolls as necessary to fit all the maneuvers.  When you are
happy, click "Submit" and the scores are sent to the server and will be
delivered to the scoring system on-site as well.

I've looked at the scoring summary analysis (until last night I actually
thought it was part of PACSS itself) and I promise that would be a part of
the contestant interface for this, along with being able to look across
contests, etc.

The possibility for using aggregation of the score data has been in my mind
for a while as well -- I believe some aggregation of scores by judges at
the nats was used/proposed sometime back to evaluate judges fairly for
nomination to judge at the worlds, I don't know if that's still in use...
with modern Map/Reduce data aggregation capabilities the possibilities are
endless :-)  But first we have to get the data universally to the cloud
with a common understanding of every contestant across all possible
contests, something that's possible through what I'm envisioning.

Peter+