[NSRCA-discussion] Proposed NSRCA sequences for 2011 and beyond

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 10:01:13 AKDT 2010

Nice discussion I got into this earlier in the week off line, initially upset over the late date change.
I got back late from flying yesterday and I started to post but felt the issue had been pretty well discussed. I was surprised to see it continue this morning, so what the heck, go for it.

I was about to start flying the new proposed short schedule and hadn't really studied it yet. Although the average Kf excluding landing and takeoff was higher than our present sequence (3.35 vs. 3.05), it didn't appear to be much more difficult to fly but it appeared to have too may low Kf turnaround maneuvers which are kind of redundant by the time we advance to masters. Increasing overall difficulty offers additional opportunities for scoring separation and increases the concentration level required, in short more challenging and I fly masters for the challenge.

Individual K factors and total flight Kf's can be misleading when making a sequence difficulty assessment. I'd gladly fly a longer schedule but asking the judges to sit through several more low Kf turnaround's in order to add a couple more high Kf center maneuvers is less desirable than increasing the difficulty even if that means adopting some of the integrated maneuvers I've judged the past few years. They look interesting but not sufficiently interesting to fly FAI, at least not yet.

When I first started flying the half square with half rolls many years ago it was as much a test of equipment reliability as challenging to fly and I'm looking forward to flying it on corner. I'm also glad to see the 2 1/2 turn spin replace with an even number as I don't have any half fingers.

3-turn Jim