[NSRCA-discussion] Height of manuevers

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 18:58:54 AKDT 2010

  On 9/8/10 7:03 PM, Archie Stafford wrote:
> This is still only an ADVISORY. This is not an FAR. I am working very closely with the FAA on airspace integration for the Navy and have asked this exact question and several high up people told me the same thing. It is only advisory and not enforceable. They are working on new FARs but they also told me they understand the difference between UAS (the new term for UAv) and model aircraft.  They are also very happy with how the AMA has worked with them. I really dont see great changes coming for our community.
>
> Arch

True enough, but in the absence of anything else they fall back on ACs.
The bigger issue is that as they write the new small UAS rules they are
working on the assumption that this is what we have been doing all
along. Hopefully the AMA working committee will be able to help them
understand the impracticality of 400 feet for many aspects of model
aviation.

I suggest that people look at these EC minutes where the AMA got an
update, some interesting things in there:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/organization/ec/0110ecminutes.aspx

There are two sections, one early on and one near the end.