[NSRCA-discussion] Height of manuevers

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 17:50:29 AKDT 2010

  Sorry, FAA AC 91-57 says 400 feet, period. When within 3 miles of an
airport you need to contact the airport.

The AMA Safety Code reads 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport and to
contact the airport. AMA added a comma which changed the whole meaning.

FAA is now writing new rules that will affect us, to what extent remains
to be seen.

AC 91-57 wording:
Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface.
When flying aircraft within 3 miles of an airport, notify the airport
operator, or when an air traffic facility is located at the airport,
notify the control tower, or flight service station.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/1acfc3f689769a56862569e70077c9cc/$FILE/ATTBJMAC/ac91-57.pdf

AMA Safety CODE:

3. I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet
above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without
notifying the airport operator.