[NSRCA-discussion] Trailers

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Mar 10 09:09:01 AKST 2010

I've got a 6 x 12 Wells Cargo trailer that I bought 15 years ago. Have had no issues with it. Tows nice, but I've never towed it with anything other than a V8 van or my diesel pickup. I think it is a little heavier than others, but it is built solid.

I purposely got one that is 6" shorter in height than the standard model, was the same height as my old van so the wind resistance was less. Would not be an issue with pattern size models, but a little cramped with the giant scale planes.

Based on my experiences and listening to others, get a V nose model. Less drag and a little more room inside for the same overall length. Get a side door. Like someone said, two would be nice (had not thought about that). Also, don't get the single rear barn door, either get the double doors or the ramp, since the single door is not as wide as others. Mine is a single door. :-(

A roof vent is nice, but get one with a cover that keeps the rain out if it is open. Also, I think it is a good idea to get insulation, especially in the roof, since the bare metal roof can turn it into an oven on a hot day. It is not difficult or expensive to insulate it yourself, but I'm not sure how much the cost would be to buy it that way.

Bob R.